Hiring the Right IT Staff
Hiring a suitable employee can be a challenging, and often a long process. Going about it in the right manner can save you time, money and resources. With years of experience in the field, PeopleToGo offers you a few solutions to hire the right IT staff.
- Job Description: Your first step is to get the job description straight. Once you identify your exact needs, short listing good candidates will become easier.
- Keep Up: With the advancement of the Internet and social networking sites, hiring happens very fast for the best candidates. IT professionals get multiple offers and you want to reach the good ones before they find suitable employment.
- Interview Panel: To gain a better assessment of a candidate’s capabilities, make sure you are not the only person conducting the interview. Whether you choose to use different interviewers at multiple stages or all at once in a panel doesn’t matter – just as long as there are different perspectives.
- Listen to Your Employees: Your current employees may have valuable insight into the compatibility of a new employee. Take note of what they are saying and consider your options. After all, they will likely spend more time with a new employee than you will.
Things to Avoid when Hiring
Typically, a recruitment process is time consuming. If it happens overnight, you possibly have not done due diligence. Hiring calls for patience, focus and good analytical skills. In our hurry to hire good IT staff, one may sometimes tend to overlook the finer details. Here are a few pointers to help you hire the right IT professional:
- Avoid questions about marital status, religion, political views, etc. unless absolutely relevant to the job.
- Don’t be swayed by big companies or schools on the resume. Look more for skills than credentials.
- Don’t make promises of job security as it could become a legal issue in the future.
- Don’t go in for an interview blind – any IT professional will be put off if the interviewer doesn’t know the facts.
- Good candidates come prepared to pass an interview; however, that does not mean you need to grill them to a point of discomfort. The purpose of the interview is to get to know an individual, so always bear that in mind.
PeopleToGo is extremely experienced in the recruitment industry, particularly focussed on IT staffing. We understand how difficult hiring can be and recommend our team of experts to find you candidates that suit your specific needs.
Make PeopleToGo your preferred choice for IT staffing and recruiting in Canada. Find out how we can help your hiring needs today.